Saturday 25 April 2009

The House At Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne


My Rating: 5 stars
Copyright: 1928
Published: 1974
Pages: 176

When I found my 1974 edition of The House At Pooh Corner I just had to re-read this much adored childhood favourite.
It was a nostalgic visit to the 100 Acre Wood to play with Pooh, "a bear of very little brain", Piglet, Eeyore, Rabbit, Owl, Tigger & of course Christopher Robin.

The stories within are simple & funny & endearing & silly & I giggled & sighed my way through them. As an adult you realise how 'little brain' Pooh actually has :-) & how neurotic Piglet is & Eeyore's sarcasm becomes apparent. As an adult I enjoyed the rhymes and poems, the funny adventures but I also enjoyed the quirky insight into human nature & the subtle reminder of what's important in life. I'd forgotten that The House At Pooh Corner marks the 'end of a chapter', Christopher Robin is leaving his childhood & his friends behind.

"Pooh, when I'm - you know - when I'm not doing Nothing, will you come up here sometimes?"
"Just Me?"
"Yes, Pooh."
"Will you be here too?"
"Yes, Pooh, I will be really. I promise I will be, Pooh."
"That's good," said Pooh
"Pooh, promise you won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I'm a hundred."
"How old shall I be then?"
"Ninety-Nine."
Pooh nodded."I promise," he said.

These aren't just characters in a book, they're friends, friends you're never too old to visit.

Posted on my blog The Eclectic Reader

2 comments: